Russia spreads criminal case against ex-defense chief : worldleaks
Russian authorities have opened a criminal case against previous Defense Minister Anatoly Serdyukov, who is charged of negligence that resulted in the loss of 1.7 million U.S. dollars of public funds when he was in power.
“The main military investigative department opened a criminal case against Anatoly Serdyukov on the ‘Negligence’ article,” Vladimir Markin, a spokesman for the Investigative Committee (IC) said in a statement on Thursday.
The ex-minister, who was in office from 2007 to 2012, has been came up to the IC for questioning, he added.
“The damage imposed to the state budget amounts to over 56 million rubles (about 1.7 million U.S. dollars),” Markin said, adding the former minister could be sentenced to 3 months in prison or up to one year of compulsory labor if found guilty.
Serdyukov was displaced by President Vladimir Putin amid a corruption scandal in the ministry’s connected structures. He was replaced by Sergei Shoigu, previously the Minister for Emergency Situations.
The IC has also opened five criminal cases where Serdyukov has been named as a witness.
For more articles : www.worldleaks.com